If you’re looking for a new sweet treat recipe, be it a birthday coming up, a cheat day, maybe a treat yourself kind of day, or just another use for Basil. Check out the recipe one of the members of our Click and Grow community on Instagram, @tauntaun148, shared! We love seeing how you guys grow your plants and how you use them in your everyday life. Make sure to tag us at #clickandgrow and you too can be featured on our blog!
1 ½ cup heavy whipping cream
½ cup fresh basil leaves
4 oz whipped cream cheese
¼ cup sugar
Green food coloring (optional)
1. Heat up the heavy cream in a saucepan and throw in torn up basil leaves. (Do not mince the basil into small pieces as this will make it difficult to strain them out later.)
2. Bring this to a simmer over medium-high heat.
3. Reduce to low heat and cook for about 25 minutes while stirring every few minutes.
4. The cream should reduce to about one cup.
5. Remove from heat and let the basil leaves steep for an hour or until completely cooled. (Cool at room temperature. Setting this mixture in the refrigerator will thicken it making it difficult to strain later.)
6. Once cooled, strain the cream through a sieve in a bowl and discard the basil leaves.
7. Place the basil infused cream in the refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes. (It is important to chill the cream to get perfect consistency.)
8. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and sugar together until smooth using the whisk attachment.
9. With the mixer still running, slowly beat in the basil cream scraping down the sides of the bowl when needed.
10. At this point, you could add in a few drops of green food coloring if desired.
11. Beat until the frosting can hold a stiff peak. It should be light and airy but firm enough to hold shape.
If you were multitasking while making the frosting, your cupcakes might be baked, cooled, and ready to frost. If not, place the frosting in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Transfer the frosting to a pastry bag or a large Ziploc bag with your favorite tip attached and frost the cooled cupcakes.
This frosting pairs well with lemon cupcakes, strawberry cupcakes, or even cupcakes made with store-bought yellow cake mix.
Depending on the choice of cupcake flavor, garnish the top with some lemon zest or a sliced strawberry.